Support independent arts journalism by joining our Patreon! Currently $5/month.

About Superconductor

Our motto: "Critical thinking in the cheap seats." Unbiased, honest classical music and opera opinions, occasional obituaries and classical news reporting, since 2007. All written content © 2019 by Paul J. Pelkonen. For more about Superconductor, visit this link. For advertising rates, click this link. Follow us on Facebook.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Happy Birthday, Herr Doktor Strauss

Today is Richard Strauss' birthday. So here's some music.
by Paul J. Pelkonen

I've loved and admired the music of Richard Strauss ever since I first saw Die Frau Ohne Schatten at the Met. I was 16--and had no idea what was going on in the opera, had no titles and didn't have a word of German. But his music communicated to me instantly and he became a deep favorite.




Other works that he wrote are important to me too...the Alpine Symphony, Ein Heldenleben (with its wonderfully bitchy passage about us music critics) and Metamorphesen. The operas communicate too--and I've seen 12 of the 15 he wrote with Friedenstag on the schedule for next year.

With that said here is some fairly rare video from 1990 of  the final scene of Capriccio from the Vienna State Opera with the great Anna Tomowa-Sintow as the Countess Madeleine. This is the same production I once stayed up until 3:30am on a school night in order to press "RECORD."  Enjoy.


Trending on Superconductor

Translate

Share My Blog!

Share |

Critical Thinking in the Cheap Seats